Using the full-color guide, conduct six tests on the accompanying FIVE gemstones and Iceland spar.
With Terra's easy-to-follow, illustrated guide you will learn:
- How to identify singly and doubly refractive gemstones.
- How to recognize a gemstone that is exhibiting anomolous double refraction (included garnet and fluorite).
- How to use the polariscope to identify microcrystalline (carnelian, agate) and polycrystalline (jade) gemstones
- How to use the polariscope as a "first alert" system when a natural gemstone has been replaced with glass, plastic, CZs, or synthetic spinels. (Very important when buying off the Internet!)
- The science and theory behind gemstone identification including crystal systems, light refraction, and polarized light.
DON'T BE DISAPPOINTED! The polariscope does not identify a specific gemstone (e.g. topaz, aquamarine). There is NO single tool that can do that (not even a refractometer or specific gravity balance works for all gemstones). But this is the best place to begin!
Kit contents: One portable polariscope (polariscope, flashlight, pouch, batteries) one 11x9mm smoky quartz, one 8x6mm green fluorite, one 12x10mm carnelian cabochon, one 8x6mm red garnet, one 10x8mm garnet cabochon, one Iceland spar (colorless calcite crystal) and a 22 page full-color booklet.
Dimensions: 9 9/16" wide x 6 9/16" deep x 1 3/4" high (1 lb, 4 oz)